Cultural Insight

Walking the path of global and cultural understanding. This is a glimpse into my journey

Monday, June 19, 2006

Ellsworth

Wow. Where do I begin?
This was much more than I expected. When we think about racist structures or practices operating in a university, hmmm. Are we considering the foundation of these instutions or practices.?
Empowerment through a transformative experience could be exhibited in an online blog or electronic blackboard on racism.
http://www.wesleyan.edu/reslife/uprootingracism.htm

This is very cool. Enter as a guest
Click on the “courses” tab in the upper left hand corner.
Type “Uprooting Racism” in the search box and hit enter.

Students need to be able to reflect (critical reflection) at their own pace. This online thing allows them to address issues in a timly and student friendly format. The thing that I enjoy the most is that it provides students with additional material needed to fulling understand the concept.
The blackboard gives students the skill to create their own tools without relying on the "master's tools or the master's house. " This is on their terms. And in many ways their space.
This is an exhibition of "voice" and "speech" in a gender neutral and racial neutral space.
You could even log on with a neutral name. Media can easily become a valuable tool to exhibit various points the moderator or teacher is trying to make.
I like it.
Ellsworth gives me more than I want in one sitting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

Hey,

Nice connection to the "real" world with this site. I wonder how our class discussion pushed you to think further about Ellsworth. For all of our talk about "theory," I found myself thinking a lot about practice after our discussion on Monday.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Jane Newport,RI said...

I like Ellsworth's focus on pracice - i.e. the connection between theory and practice. It's amazing how a few strategic ideas can clarify and stimulate thinking. Ellsworth has done a great job with this piece. I would use this in my seminar with student teachers and I think it may provide a route to theory they may otherwise 'not have time for'(in their words). The blackboard is another great tool. I will definately check it out.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home